Our best in Class product for Wind Energy are:
Foundation & Flanges:
- Profiles in Special Bar Quality steels for foundation and flanges (profiles up to 250kg/m)
- Heavy plates in S235, S275, S355, S420-S460. including J, J2, JR, M, ML and NL specifications with thicknesses up to 80mm, widths up to 3.800 mm and lengths up to 20.000 mm
- Amstrong™ hot rolled coils from S460 to S500MC and thicknesses up to 25 mm
- Specific beams
- Heavy plates
- Wide range of electrical steels, non-grain oriented (ONG), including M400-50A
- Electrical steels with high permeability (M400XP50A & M470P65A
- Electrical steels with low losses (M250-50A in thicknesses from 0,35 to 1 mm)
Gearbox yaw & pitch:
- Seamless rolled ring steels for ring gears (34CrNiMo6, 18CrNiMo7-6, 14CrMoV6-9, 31CrMoV9), orientation systems and coupling systems (42CrMo4)
The fossil fuels use and conventional ways of producing electricity are going to diminish drastically over the next 50 years. Contributing to the development of renewable energy is as much a strategic choice as an industrial responsibility to our planet.
Most of the countries are doing their part by investing in renewables, with a strategic focus on the following energy resources:
- And to some extend “Blue Economy” (ocean economy)
ArcelorMittal is committed to offering steel products and steel solutions to support wind tower manufacturers. Due to our worldwide industrial footprint coupled with customized services, we are able to provide the largest range of steel solutions for each part of the wind towers.
Every day, the Onshore and Offshore Windmill sector brings new technical challenges to the Wind Tower Market. Our R&D Centers contribute to many projects identifying the future vision for the wind energy sector and wind turbine technology – with new, lighter materials meant to limit welding seam involved in turbine construction.
Our heavy plates range is used to manufacture both, the tower and, in offshore installations, the jackets that keep the turbine stable on the sea floor. We also supply non-oriented, fully processed electrical steels for the medium and high-power generators sitting at the top of the wind tower. These steels possess all of the required magnetic properties to maximize the amount of energy each turbine can produce.
Our steels for offshore structures offer improved workability and weldability and can be supplied thermo-mechanically rolled or normalized. They can be utilized in applications such as platforms and equipment for new fixed wind towers.
ArcelorMittal can conduct the following tests if required:
- Ultrasonic testing
- Reduced carbon equivalent (CEV) or parameter crack measurement (PCM) values
- Transversal impact tests
- Resistance to lamellar tearing, perpendicular to the surface of the product as per EN 10164 (Z test)
- Post-weld heat treatment test (PWHT).