More case studies with Cofrastra®
Similar case studies Transportation
Refurbishment of Wrocław Central Station with Cofrastra® composite flooring
The historical building of Wrocław Central Station, originally built in the 1850s, was reopened in 2012 after two years of extensive restoration and modernisation. The result is a combination of the old and the new that makes it one of Poland's most beautiful train stations. ArcelorMittal provided composite flooring for the renovation of the main building.
Built between 1855 and 1857, the Wrocław Central Station was expanded in the late 19th and early 20th centuries due to the growth of the city. After being damaged in World War II, it was re-opened in 1945, but the repair works were not finished until 1949. More extensive repairs took place in the 1960s and the 1990s.
In 2010, a complete renovation was started due to a major investment by Polish Railway to make the station comply with modern standards of security and traveller comfort, while maintaining and restoring the historic architecture. Part of the project was also the redesign of the public square in front of the station and the construction of an underground car park for more than 200 cars.
Main building and platforms
The Neo-Gothic main building, originally designed by William Grapow, has undergone a complete metamorphosis: On the one hand, its former glory and architectural beauty have been restored and brought back to life; on the other hand, modernity and modern technology have found their way into the station in order to convert it into a state of the art transportation hub. Staircases, lifts, escalators, a new electronic announcement system, and a security surveillance system were installed in the main hall, in addition to a new concept of space being created that makes the station accessible for people with disabilities.
In the western part of the hall, there is the tourist office, nine ticket counters, and a waiting room. In the eastern part, the Railway Information Customer Service Centre and a VIP waiting room can be found. Vending machines and ATMs were set up for travellers' comfort.
Apart from the main hall, the old station is full of beautifully decorated historical rooms that have been restored completely. Most of them are now used as commercial spaces and restaurants.
The two highlights are without a doubt the Imperial Hall with its beautifully painted ceiling and the Session Hall with its coffered ceiling. In the course of the restoration, more wall paintings were found under the layers of paint and plaster, and in the commercial spaces old advertisments from the 1920s and 1930s were uncovered.
All of the flooring systems had to be reinforced in order to ensure the building's security and adapt it to its new functions. Therefore, steel beams resting on the existing brick structure support the composite flooring deck supplied by ArcelorMittal. A total of 8000 m2 of Cofrastra® 40 and 2500 m2 of Cofrastra® 70 were used for the reconstruction of the station's floors.
The five platforms were completely demolished and rebuilt according to modern standards. The old steel structure of the platform halls was repaired and restored and a new part was added: a new roof with skylights protects the passangers from the weather. Escalators and lifts lead down to the central tunnel that connects the platform with the central hall.
New underground car park and a rearranged public square
Before the renovation works, the station's car park was situated on the paved square in front of the building. In the course of the modernisation, a new underground car park was built that offers 217 safe parking spaces and can be accessed from the square and nearby Piłsudskiego Street.
The public square has been completely redesigned and is now entirely pedestrian: green islands and walkways offer space to breathe, new urban furniture (many benches, bins, and streetlamps) and two playful fountains bring life to the square. Trees were planted to provide shade.
The old jewel of Poland's railway stations gleams in new splendour and offers its passengers comfort and elegance in a historical environment brought back to life.
- 2010 - 2012
- General Contractor:
©wroclawnowyglowny.pl & ArcelorMittal Construction Polska