ArcelorMittal launches RailCor®: a new range of corrosion resistant rails
In March 2021, ArcelorMittal Europe – Long Products launched RailCor®, a completely new range of corrosion resistant rails to protect from severe corrosion environments no matter whether the rails: are installed inside tunnels, city centres, or coastal areas; face demanding corrosion challenges; or fight specific corrosion produced by stray currents - or even to protect the rails during shipment.
Thoroughly tested and available in four solutions
RailCor® was developed by ArcelorMittal Global R&D and has been tested through a wide range of systems in accelerated corrosion tests. The selected solutions have been tested on real tracks for more than two years under the most severe conditions.
RailCor® is available in four specific solutions to meet the most demanding customer requirements to protect rails against corrosion depending on the location and final application. Two solutions are designed to offer long-term protection in severe environments. A third one protects rails against corrosion by stray currents. The fourth solution is ideal for low corrosion environments or during shipment and storage.
RailCor®’s economic and sustainability advantages
In addition to protecting rails against corrosion, RailCor® offers:
- Increased rail service life
- A considerable reduction in rail track maintenance and rail replacement costs
- Increased cost savings reducing Life Cycle Cost as there is a remarkable decrease regarding rail replacement expenses
The ends of the rails remain uncoated on delivery to facilitate handling, welding, and drilling.
RailCor® meets the most demanding coating standards
RailCor® was designed and tested to include excellent steel adhesion acting as the best physical barrier to protect the rail and to meet the most demanding standards, such as:
- ISO 12944-5:2018 (Protective paint systems for steel structures)
- ISO 4624:2016 (Paints and varnishes – pull-off test for adhesion)
- ISO 2063-1:2017 (Specifies requirements for the protection of iron and steel surfaces against corrosion by applying thermal-sprayed metallic coatings of zinc, aluminium, or their alloys)
RailCor® is a registered trademark of ArcelorMittal and can be ordered by customers today.
ArcelorMittal Europe Communications