The main function of flooring is to transmit loads to the bearing structures of the building. Flooring is also sometimes used as diaphragms in order to support the horizontal stability of the structure and provide seismic resistance.
Flooring must also meet the requirements of building physics:
- minimising vibration to eliminate potential disturbances
- fire resistance
- thermal and acoustic performance
- durability in corrosive environments, both inside and outside the building
Fulfilling these requirements ensures that the flooring accommodates building services as well as other elements such as suspended ceilings.
With its wide range of products, ArcelorMittal Europe offers an extensive set of flooring solutions that meet performance requirements and effectively contribute to building efficiency.
Related news and technical articles
Analysis of the plastic slip capacity of steel-concrete composite dowel shear connectors: development of an analytical simplified model19 October 2023
This master’s thesis by Francesco Profico was developed in ArcelorMittal’s R&D centre in Luxembourg. The focus of this thesis is the study of the plastic behaviour of composite dowel shear connectors. These constitute a relatively new typology of shear connectors in composite beams that offer an alternative to the well-established head-stud shear connectors. Composite dowels are made from interconnected steel obtained from a thermal cutting process and reinforced concrete dowels. To date, this new typology has been used in many bridge applications, and guidelines are present for designers in specific countries. Interest is now growing for building applications in which a plastic design for shear connection is often used.Technical article
Magnelis® receives Steel Construction Institute certification22 June 2023
The Steel Construction Institute (SCI) has awarded its ‘SCI Assessed’ quality mark to ArcelorMittal’s Magnelis® ZM120 coating for corrosion protection. Magnelis® is a ZM (zinc-aluminium-magnesium) coating in accordance with EN 10346:2015.Product news
Successes for sustainable construction at BAU27 April 2023
ArcelorMittal took part in BAU, a major event for the construction and building industry, in Munich from 17-22 April, showcasing its latest high-performance steel products, XCarb® range of sustainable steels, and cooperations dedicated to construction.Event news
ArcelorMittal Europe has developed a full range of steel products and solutions for flooring in multi-storey buildings as well as industrial, commercial, and storage buildings.
Our products can be combined into composite steel and concrete flooring solutions in order to reduce floor thickness, integrate services, or to enable optimal installation time as demonstrated by the integrated solution CoSFB.
Moreover, slimmer floor slabs enable optimisation of external facade areas and thus contribute to the improvement of thermal efficiency and global energy saving of the building.
To achieve such results, among other product ranges, ArcelorMittal Europe offers:
- Cofrastra® and Cofraplus® decking systems which replace temporary formwork and participate in concrete reinforcement while allowing thinner concrete slabs.
- Asymmetric beams, such as IFB (integrated floor beams) or SFB (slim floor beams), which reduce the overall thickness of floors.
- Cellular beams, such as ACB® or Angelina®, to simplify service integration and to avoid issues related to any additional service zones below the beam level.
- Steel floor plates – a cost-effective solution, such as S235 Diamond, with slip-resistant and durable surfaces for walkways, stairs, and platforms.