Improved performance & a high degree of prefabrication
The Prefabricated Composite Beam (PreCoBeam) is made of a heavy beam that is oxy-fuel cut along its web with a specific geometry.
On the one hand, it creates a strong bond with the concrete and thus substitutes for the welded shear studs in standard solutions. On the other hand, it improves the beam's fatigue performance.
The aim was to improve the mechanical performance of steel, especially the fatigue behaviour, and to reach a higher degree of prefabrication of the elements in order to reduce installation time.
PreCoBeam (Prefabricated Composite Beam) marks the beginning of a new method of short and medium span bridge construction with hot rolled steel sections - competitive and sustainable!
The concept for this new type of composite beam was invented in the beginning of the new millennium, and over the few last years, ArcelorMittal's R&D department and our partners have spent a lot of time testing and optimising the solution.
- a high degree of prefabrication, enabling a quick erection process and low disturbance when erected on existing infrastructure
- reduction of coating surface
- elementary steel construction almost without any welding
- sparse maintenance and easy monitoring
- high safety standards in case of vehicle impact, especially for bridges with only two girders