Steel sheet piles by ArcelorMittal
When it comes to subterranean car park structures, steel sheet piles offer an economic, cost efficient, and aesthetically pleasing alternative to reinforced concrete for permanent retaining walls as they:
- serve as a retaining wall during the excavation phase to support horizontal pressures
- provide water tightness
- form the permanent outer structural wall
- transmit vertical loads to the substratum
- comply with fire safety regulations
Thanks to a permanent sheet pile wall, a temporary retaining wall is not required, which therefore:
- maximises the available space - a principal issue especially in urban areas
- shortens the construction time
- reduces the total cost of the building
Underground car parks
Structural stability, soil retaining capacity, and fire safety are crucial performance requirements for products and solutions used in underground car park structures, and they directly match the design criteria of cost efficiency and optimisation of space.
The way in which our built environment functions and creates tightly knit urban spaces can often cause an increase in traffic to be a prominent issue that needs to be dealt with on a daily basis. With the current trends of reducing traffic and creating more pedestrian zones in our city centres, the need for new parking spaces is constantly growing.
Where space is scarce above ground, underground car parks are an ideal solution for the parking issue.
Other ArcelorMittal solutions for underground car park constructions include:
- Structural steel sections and heavy plates available in a wide range of grades and dimensions
- Composite flooring solutions like Cofraplus®
- Rebars for concrete reinforcement
- Enamelled steels for interior panels and signals
- Metallic coated steels for devices like cable trays or ventilation ducts
In addition, the ArcelorMittal technical assistance teams are available to support designers in their project design for underground car parks.
Related news and technical articles
Innovative and sustainable steel sheet pile solutions for underground car parks
Steel sheet piles have been used for decades in the construction of underground car parks, and this trend is increasing as the demand for underground car parks rises in densely populated areas. Steel sheet pile walls are a sustainable solution for underground car parks up to three or four levels below the surface. This R&D report explores design methods, vertical loads and bearing capacity, innovative installation techniques, fire design methods, design software, sealing systems, and sustainability for underground car parks with steel sheet piles.Article
New! 2021 Steel foundation solutions catalogue21 January 2021
The 2021 edition of ArcelorMittal Sheet Piling’s general catalogue ‘Steel foundation solutions’ is now available!This new edition introduces the new HZ 630M profile for HZ-M/AZ combined walls.Website News