Metallic coated steels
Related news & technical articles
Magnelis® ZM 310 certified for C5 environments23 January 2020
The Research Institute of Sweden has renewed its certification of Magnelis® ZM 310 and its use as corrosion protection for steel sheets for indoor and outdoor applications. Its use is suitable for corrosivity class C5 according to the SS-EN ISO 12944-2 described class based on a deemed expected lifetime of 15 years.Product News
Award-winning InQuik system uses Magnelis® to install innovative bridges quickly14 January 2020
Australian company InQuik has developed a unique method of building bridges which can be implemented quickly using only low-skilled labour. The globally patented technology utilises Magnelis® from ArcelorMittal Europe – Flat Products to create the formwork of a bridge, which is then filled with concrete to create the bridge deck. Although the bridges are designed for a service life of 100 years, experts believe that the use of Magnelis® could double that without the need for significant maintenance. With hundreds of thousands of bridges needing replacement around the world, the potential for the InQuik system is enormous. The innovative design of the InQuik system was recognised when it won the 2019 T.C. Graham Prize from the Association for Iron & Steel Technology (AIST).Product News
Eneco and ArcelorMittal unveil Belgium’s largest solar roof16 October 2019
The installation of more than 27 000 solar panels on the roof of ArcelorMittal in Ghent has been completed, resulting in the largest solar roof in Belgium. Installed by Eneco, this is their largest project to date making ArcelorMittal Belgium even more sustainable. The power generated will be used internally by ArcelorMittal in Ghent. The panels are fixed on a framework made of steel coated with Magnelis®. The Magnelis® steel, produced at our production site in Liège among others, is a strong illustration of sustainability.Project News
Innovative floating PV system with Magnelis®3 October 2019
It is common to see solar energy panels on land and on roofs, but one German company is now exploring the untapped potential of lakes to generate energy. Developed by Zimmermann, the Zim Float photovoltaic (PV) system can be deployed on almost any body of freshwater, and it benefits from the cooling effect of the lake to maximise power generation while limiting evaporation. To ensure the long-term viability of the installation, the system relies on a structure composed mainly of Magnelis® by ArcelorMittal Europe – Flat Products.Project News
Magnelis® is a flat carbon steel coated on both sides with a zinc-aluminium-magnesium alloy*
- Excellent corrosion resistance - at least 3 times better than galvanised steel in external applications
- Complete edge protection thanks to the self-healing properties of Magnelis® on cut edges
- Outstanding resistance in harsh environments (maritime, chloride, and ammonia atmospheres)
- More cost-effective than batch galvanised steels due to simple manufacturing
- Reduced maintenance costs compared to post painting
The excellent corrosion resistance properties of Magnelis® have been accredited with a Preliminary Technical Evaluation of Material (ETPM) by CSTB (Centre Scientifique et Technique du Bâtiment) and certified by a number of other external bodies, among them SP (Science Partner) and DIBT (Deutsches Institut für Bautechnik).
* This alloy is composed of 93.5% zinc, 3.5% aluminium, and 3% magnesium.
Best in class
Magnelis® Think Strategy
An innovative metallic coating that offers protection in the harshest environments
Magnelis® can be used in numerous applications:
- Construction: for a wide range of structural applications: sub-structures of ventilated facades, composite floors, purlins for roofs, side rails for walls, rainwater systems, and light steel framing
- Appliances and electrical equipment such as cable trays
- Agriculture & farming: animal housing, silos, greenhouse structures
- Industrial applications
- Infrastructure: safety barriers, lighting poles, road signs, acoustic walls, bridge parapets, etc.
- Solar structures
Magnelis® comes with up to 25-year guarantees for ZM310 depending on the environments and applications.
Magnelis® structural steel gradesMore
Magnelis® - Choose protection against long-term wear and tear