At ArcelorMittal Europe, we have advanced knowledge regarding fire safety as we have developed a unique R&D team dedicated to fire engineering and solutions development in order to propose high performance products and solutions:
- Our organic coated Granite® is classified A1 Euro class - the best possible level, meaning non-combustible.
- Our composite floor product range such as Cofrastra® and innovative combined sections and composite flooring system CoSFB are R120 fire resistant without any additional fire protection.
We are continuously innovating new products and solutions and our expertise in fire engineering design concepts also enables architects and engineers to optimise building safety with competitive solutions, as demonstrated in multi-storey car parks in most European countries.
Fire safety is one of the key requirements for construction. Each building has to ensure the safety of its occupants in case of a fire. This means it must enable quick and easy detection and escape, but also strongly limit fire spreading.
Fire Resistance & Fire Reaction
In terms of fire safety, it is necessary to make a distinction between:
- Fire resistance (length of time for which the construction application limits spread in spite of the action of the fire)
- Fire reaction (how the material behaves and brings fuel to the fire and the development of the fire)
Fire resistance indicates the amount of time during a fire a construction application (flooring, facade, structure, etc.) conserves its properties:
- R classification: The construction application conserves its load-bearing capacities during the indicated time.
- RE classification (formerly FP, Fireproof): In addition to R classification, the tested element must be resistant to flames and inflammable gases. The element prevents, for the indicated time, the spread of combustion gases and smoke on the non-affected compartments.
- REI classification (formerly FS, Fire stop): In addition to RE classification, this classification limits the rise in temperature of the surface not exposed to the fire (thermal insulation) to 140°C (on average) and 180°C (maximum). The element prevents heat spreading from the non-affected side for the length of time indicated.
Fire reaction indicates the way the material behaves as a combustible:
- Combustibility corresponds to the quantity of heat emitted by complete combustion of the material (reference to calorific power), and inflammability corresponds to the quantity of more or less inflammable gases emitted by the material under the action of a heat source.
- Construction materials and products are classified under “Euro classes" (classification recognised in all European Union member countries).
- The classification system (Euro classes) now takes two other criteria into account: smoke given off (S for smoke) plus potential projected burning droplets (D for drop or droplets).
Related news and technical articles
Introducing the new TitanThermic™ hot finished tube solution26 July 2022
ArcelorMittal Tubular Products is proud to present its newly named TitanThermic™ small welded tube product. This product is the best in the hollow sections family, being manufactured with a hot process that provides the superior quality and optimal safety needed for demanding applications.Product news
Winners of 2021 Pritzker Prize blend sustainability with space30 March 2021
On 16 March, French architects Anne Lacaton and Jean-Philippe Vassal became the newest laureates of the prestigious Pritzker Prize - the highest distinction in the world of architecture. Known for their private and social housing, public space, and institutional building design, Lacaton and Vassal meld sustainability with respect for pre-existing structures.Industry news
New: Fire certificate for Granite® HDX in metallic colours!30 November 2020
Metallic colours are evermore appreciated by architects – especially in combination with organic coated steels to provide long term durability and aesthetic facades.For the first time, ArcelorMittal has published a fire certificate for prepainted steel in metallic colours: Granite® HDX in metallic shades has successfully been certified as A1!Product news