Our best in class products for wind energy are:
Foundations and flanges:
- Profiles in special bar quality steels for foundations and flanges (profiles up to 250kg/m)
- Heavy plates in S235, S275, S355, and S420 to S460 - including J, J2, JR, M, ML, N, and NL specifications with thicknesses up to 120mm, widths up to 3300mm, and lengths up to 21 000mm
- Amstrong® hot rolled coils from S460MC to S500MC and thicknesses up to 20mm
- Rolled sections in steel grades from S235 to S500 and CVN to -50°C. Also in offshore qualities according to EN 10225 and ASTM, HISTAR®, Z and W grades, Arcorox®, 16Mo3, etc. The offer includes standard and special rolled sections, channels, ASTM A6 shapes, standard merchant bars, and heavy angles up to 300mm with 35mm thickness.
- Specific beams
- Heavy plates
- Wide range of electrical steels, non-grain oriented (ONG) including M400-50A
- Electrical steels with high permeability (M400XP50A & M470P65A)
- Electrical steels with low losses (M250-50A in thicknesses from 0.35 to 1mm)
Gearboxes, yaws, and pitches:
- Seamless rolled ring steels for ring gears (34CrNiMo6, 18CrNiMo7-6, 14CrMoV6-9, 31CrMoV9), orientation systems, and coupling systems (42CrMo4)
Mooring ropes for floating wind turbines:
- Sheathed spiral strand wire: ArcelorMittal provides a complete mooring turn-key package with mooring wire, sockets, and offshore transportation reels
Related news and technical articles
ArcelorMittal - a key partner for the wind industry9 November 2022
The ability to produce green energy on a massive scale is a key challenge for a sustainable future and has become a high priority in many countries. According to the IEA’s World Energy Outlook 2020, renewable sources of energy are expected to provide almost 40% of the global electricity supply by 2030, and wind will be one of the main contributors.To meet the demand for clean energy, the quantity of wind turbines that must be produced and installed each year will continue to increase at a very high rate. Achieving this production level requires a strong supply chain and high-quality, innovative products. ArcelorMittal has recently published a renewed edition of its 'Steel solutions for the global wind energy industry' brochure, encompassing the products and services of the group’s entities, all useful contact details – and a focus on its XCarb® carbon reduced steel offer.Product news
Steel is the power behind renewable energy
Headlines throughout the world reveal that a global energy transition is underway. Oil and gas and electricity companies are announcing massive investments and strategic moves that embrace renewable energy.Article
The use of fossil fuels and the conventional methods of producing electricity are going to diminish drastically over the next 50 years. Contributing to the development of renewable energy is as much a strategic choice as an industrial responsibility to our planet.
Most countries are doing their part by investing in renewable energy with a strategic focus on the following energy resources:
- and to some extent 'blue economy' (ocean economy)
ArcelorMittal is committed to offering steel products and steel solutions to support wind tower manufacturers. Thanks to our worldwide industrial footprint coupled with customised services, we are able to provide the largest range of steel solutions for each part of the wind tower.
Every day, the onshore and offshore windmill sector brings new technical challenges to the wind tower market. Our R&D centres contribute to many projects identifying the future vision for the wind energy sector and wind turbine technology with new, lighter materials meant to limit welding seams involved in turbine construction.
Our heavy plates range is used to manufacture both the tower and, in offshore installations, the jackets that keep the turbine stable on the sea floor. We also supply non-oriented, fully processed electrical steels for the medium and high-power generators sitting at the top of the wind tower. These steels possess all of the required magnetic properties to maximise the amount of energy each turbine can produce.
Our steels for offshore structures offer improved workability and weldability and can be supplied thermomechanically rolled or normalised. They can be utilised in applications such as platforms and equipment for new fixed wind towers.
ArcelorMittal can conduct the following tests if required:
- ultrasonic testing
- reduced carbon equivalent (CEV) or parameter crack measurement (PCM) values
- transversal impact tests
- resistance to lamellar tearing, perpendicular to the surface of the product as per EN 10164 (Z test)
- post-weld heat treatment test (PWHT)