Steel in Construction Academy
It is with great pleasure that we present SiCA: Steel in Construction Academy, our latest development available for free on our digital platform Constructalia.
Almost 30 years ago, a consortium of more than 200 European steel and steel construction specialists, including ArcelorMittal, came together to implement the ESDEP (European Steel Design Education Programme) training programme to further the development of the use of steel in construction. Three years ago, we decided to take all of this content and revise, update, and enrich it.
We have paid particular attention to updating as per the current standards and regulations, especially to comply with the most recent versions of the Eurocodes. We have also included new products and solutions in connection with our site content. Certain themes, such as sustainable construction with steel, energy efficiency, and the circular economy, which were not taken into consideration when the content was first created, will be the subject of new publications.
Enjoy your visit and good reading,
Patrick Le Pense
Building skin & Civil engineering segment manager
ArcelorMittal Europe - Flat Products
SiCA is the result of teamwork thanks to:
- The members of the Constructalia team who have been working for almost 3 years, and in particular over the last few months, to prepare the content for publication: Marta Dziarnowska, Joanna Parzyszek, Kathrin Sulzer, and Jenny Blake, all of whom will continue to enrich the content.
- Our partner Aware, and in particular Thomas Vermeiren and Stijn Cuylle, who developed new functionalities for the Constructalia platform.
- Colleagues from ArcelorMittal Europe - Flat Products: Corinne Dieu, François Blanchet, and Patrick Pol, who helped to revise some of the content.
- Associate Professor Wioleta Barcewicz, PhD Eng., from Warsaw University of Technology, who continues to review and update many lectures, especially those related to the Eurocodes.
- Carol Farinaud, consultant, who assisted us with the Constructalia renovation project.
We would like to thank everyone for their commitment and encouragement.
Patrick Le Pense
We would like to thank Patrick Le Pense. Without his expertise and advice, SiCA would not have been possible and would never have been published.
The Constructalia team
Despite all of the care taken in reviewing the content and formatting, it is likely that some errors have been missed. Please report them to us at: constructalia(at)arcelormittal.com
The content available in these lectures facilitates learning, but should in no way be used for final design and calculation.
This content may be used free of charge. No right is granted to the user of the content, the property and intellectual rights of which continue to belong to ArcelorMittal. No warranty is granted to the user.
The ArcelorMittal Group cannot be held liable for any loss or damage directly and/or indirectly sustained as a result of the use of the content. The user undertakes to hold ArcelorMittal free and harmless from any claim and any direct, indirect, and/or consequential damages, in particular those resulting from incorrect or inappropriate use or a use made for an inadequate or inappropriate purpose of the content.